Daydreaming about extra-long, gorgeous Rapunzel-length hair is one thing we’ve all finished at one level or one other. In any case, lengthy hair is commonly extremely coveted.
So, it solely is smart that you just’d wish to maintain observe of your hair progress regularly.
Measuring the size is straight hair is comparatively straightforward, sadly, it may be troublesome to precisely measure the expansion of curly hair because of its twists, turns, coils, and kinks.
So, on this article, we’ll fill you in on a number of strategies of measuring your pure hair size no matter your hair kind or texture.
The best way to Measure Hair Size
Documenting your hair’s progress is a superb means of discovering out the place you’re in your hair growth journey. It’s additionally a good way to gauge how different hair care routines or merchandise have an effect on your size retention (and total hair size, consequently).
Under are a number of choices for measuring your hair, together with the professionals and cons.
Comparability Images for Size Checks
Comparability pictures are everywhere in the web, and they’re among the most attention-grabbing pictures shared on the net. Curly ladies everywhere in the world use them to measure their hair size over time.
Listed below are some ideas for getting good hair size comparability pictures:
- Put on your hair in the identical coiffure in each footage.
- Ensure that your background and clothes distinction along with your hair colour.
- Take the image from the identical distance in each footage.
- Depart sufficient time between the primary image and the second image.
Comparability Picture Professionals:
- Visible: They’re a good way to visually observe your hair progress.
- Click on and Share Potential: They provide the alternative to share your hair progress progress along with your family and friends both in particular person or over social media.
Comparability Picture Cons:
- Imprecise: They don’t seem to be the best choice if you wish to get exact size measurements. Different strategies work a lot better for this objective.
- Disappointment: You might take two footage months aside and never discover any progress although your hair did certainly develop. This might trigger pointless discouragement.
Use a Size Verify Shirt as a Hair Size Information
One other nice solution to observe your hair progress progress is to get a size examine shirt. It’s a t-shirt that includes strains at completely different hair progress milestones – it not solely lets you maintain observe of your hair size, however it’s a enjoyable solution to set size targets for the long run.
With a size examine shirt, you possibly can periodically measure whether or not your hair has reached a sure size utilizing physique components:
- Shoulder Size (SL)
- Armpit Size (APL)
- Bra Strap Size (BSL)
- Mid Again Size (MBL)
- Waist Size (WL)
- Or longer!
Professionals of a Size Verify Shirt
- Straightforward measuring: If used appropriately, you possibly can observe your hair progress inch by inch.
- Click on and shareability: Size examine shirts are a fantastic addition to hair size comparability pictures.
Cons of a Size Verify Shirt:
- Inaccuracy: Your hair size measurement could also be altered by the way you put on the shirt. You may by accident pull your shirt up, down, stretch it out, or the shirt may turn into looser with time.
The place Can You Get a Size Verify Shirt?
Hair-length shirts can be found on-line. A number of on-line outlets supply them for an inexpensive worth. The most effective choices is “Spreadshirt” because it presents colours and designs to swimsuit everybody. Amazon and Etsy are different nice choices.
When you Google the time period “size examine shirt,” you’ll discover a number of choices out there on-line.
Use a Comfortable Tape Measure
A tender tape measure (additionally referred to as measuring tape) is probably the most correct solution to measure your hair size. One of the simplest ways to trace your progress with a tape measure is to jot down down your measurements and evaluate them with future ones.
Listed below are step-by-step directions:
- Unwrap your tape measure and discover the tip with the smaller numbers. Maintain the tape measure at that finish between your thumb and pointer finger.
- Select a piece of your hair that you just wish to measure.
- Maintain your tape measure in order that the tip of it touches your scalp (close to the hair part you selected).
- Use one hand to carry the tape measure at your scalp and use the opposite one to stretch out and measure your hair.
- Pay attention to the place your hair ends.
- Repeat the above directions throughout your head (on either side, the crown, the again, and so forth.)
Professionals of Utilizing a Comfortable Tape Measure
- Accuracy: You possibly can examine precisely how lengthy your hair is and maintain observe of your month-to-month hair progress fee.
- Ease of Use: When you get the grasp of measuring your hair with a tape measure, it’ll get simpler over time.
Cons of a Comfortable Tape Measure
- Measuring the hair within the again: You may discover it tough to measure the hair within the again, particularly when you’ve received brief curly hair.
Which Hair Measuring Methodology is the Finest
The very best hair measuring technique will range from individual to individual, and it’s because all of us have completely different causes for measuring our hair.
One particular person could wish to do it for social media photos – on this case, comparability pictures or a hair-length T-shirt would be the finest choices.
Though, for somebody who desires accuracy above all else, the tender tape measure technique shall be finest. We propose you select which technique is finest for you based mostly on the professionals and cons.
How To not Measure Hair Size
Now that you know the way to appropriately measure your hair’s size, let’s soar into some issues that it’s best to keep away from whenever you measure your hair size.
Measuring it Whereas Curly
Measuring your hair whereas it’s in its curly state is a surefire solution to get unreliable measurement outcomes with comparability pictures or size examine shirts.
Since curly hair shrinks to completely different ranges relying on the extent of moisture within the air and the way you fashion it, it’s essential to stretch or straighten your hair earlier than measurement.
Stretching Your Pure Hair
Measuring straightened hair will provide you with probably the most exact measurements. However since we wish to maintain our hair wholesome and promote progress, that’s not the best choice.
Fortunately, whenever you stretch your pure hair, you’ll get extra dependable measurements than you’ll when you measured your hair in its curly state. So, at minimal, we advocate stretching your hair.
There are a number of methods to do that, and we’ll concentrate on three of the most well-liked methods.
The banding technique of stretching is most popular by curly ladies who don’t know learn how to braid and like to keep away from warmth. Listed below are some steps to comply with for this stretching technique:
- Wash, situation, deep-condition (optionally available), and apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair. Whereas the conditioner is in your hair, use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair. After this step, your hair shall be prepared for the stretching course of.
- Half your damp hair into a number of sections (4 or extra) and safe every one with a scrunchie. Ouchless scrunchies are most popular over others, as they gained’t snag your delicate strands.
- Select one of many sections, take away any remaining tangles, and start including rubber bands down the size of your hair. Don’t cease including scrunchies till you’ve reached the ends of your hair.
- Permit your hair to air-dry in a single day and take away the scrunchies within the morning.
- Detangle your hair gently with a wide-toothed comb.
If you know the way to braid, this stretching technique could also be good for you. Take the next steps to stretch your hair out with braids.
- Put together your hair for the stretching course of by washing, conditioning, deep-conditioning (optionally available), and making use of a leave-in conditioner to your hair. Detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb whereas the conditioner is in your hair.
- Half your hair into at the very least 4 equal sections and braid them from roots to ends.
- Permit your hair to dry fully – it might take a number of hours. If wanted, let it dry in a single day.
- Take the braids down and gently comb by means of your hair to see it in its stretched state.
Blow-drying is yet one more solution to stretch your pure hair. Once you use a heated possibility in your blow dryer, it’ll get your hair straighter than the earlier two strategies. Use the next steps to blow your hair out with out damaging it.
- Prep your hair for the blow-drying course of by washing, conditioning, deep-conditioning (optionally available), and making use of your leave-in.
- Half your hair into a number of sections and use clips to maintain the sections separate.
- Flip in your blow dryer and set it to low warmth.
- Take one of many sections down, spray it with a heat-protectant after which comb it by means of for even distribution.
- Start to blow-dry it from roots to ideas. When you come throughout any tangles, use your fingers to detangle after which proceed blowdrying.
- Repeat the earlier two steps on the remainder of your hair.
As you observe your hair’s progress from this level ahead, it’s best to use the identical stretching technique every time. This may assist to make sure that you get dependable measurements over time.
Measuring Too Usually
Measuring your hair each week will solely finish in frustration over how little your hair has grown. So, we advocate that you just measure your hair as soon as each couple of months or so. The much less usually you do it, the extra progress you’ll see, and the happier you’ll be along with your progress.
Switching Between Measuring Strategies
When you’re protecting observe of your hair progress over time, it’s essential to not change between hair measuring strategies. This may trigger your hair progress information to be inconsistent and even downright complicated.
What Hair Size is Thought-about Lengthy?
Everybody refers to hair lengths within the basic phrases of “brief,” “medium,” and “lengthy.” Nevertheless, these phrases could convey various things to completely different individuals. Let’s go over the lengths that we think about brief, medium, and lengthy – they only could provide help to outline your hair progress targets.
- Quick hair is shorter than 12 inches.
- Medium-length hair is from 12 inches to twenty inches.
- Lengthy hair is longer than 20 inches.
These measurements solely apply to straightened curly hair and are basic estimates.
How Quick Does Hair Develop?
In keeping with The American Academy of Dermatology, hair grows roughly half an inch per 30 days or six inches per 12 months. Nevertheless, understand that these numbers won’t be the identical for everybody.
Your hair progress fee will depend on a number of components, together with your age, gender, and total well being.
- Age: Hair grows quicker between the ages of 15 and 30 than at every other time in your life.
- Well being: When you’re coping with thyroid points or different well being issues, your hair progress fee can sluggish. Stress ranges also can trigger your hair growth to slow down or cease in some areas.
- Weight loss plan: In case you are not taking in ample vitamins, your hair is not going to develop at its regular fee. Eat a well-balanced diet of fruits, greens, proteins, and extra to advertise wholesome hair progress.
- Gender: Males develop hair quicker than girls.
Now that you already know the numerous components that affect hair progress let’s transfer on to the hair progress cycle to offer you some extra perception.
Get to Know the Hair Progress Cycle
Hair grows in an outlined cycle, with a number of phases. We’ve outlined every of the phases under for fast reference.
- Anagen part: the “lively progress” part, when hair strands continue to grow for 3 to five years.
- Catagen Section: the “transition” part, when your hair stops rising. This stage lasts round 2 weeks.
- Telogen Section: the “resting” part earlier than your hair begins shedding. This part lasts 2 to three months.
- Exogen Section: the “shedding” part of the expansion cycle.
Loads remains to be unknown concerning the hair progress phases, however we do know that these phases are comparatively constant until you may have a well being drawback.
When you’re questioning whether or not you possibly can prolong your hair’s anagen part (progress part), we’ve received some not-so-great information. There’s no recognized solution to prolong it, so far as researchers know.
The very best factor that you are able to do to maximise your pure hair progress is to place your well being first.
Size Retention: The Key to Rising Lengthy Hair
Whereas there’s no solution to velocity up hair progress, there are some steps you possibly can take to maximise your size.
Size retention relies upon fully on how properly you maintain your hair after it’s grown out. Your ends are the thinnest, weakest, and highest porosity components of your hair.
Because of this, they break and burn simpler than the remainder of your hair. To assist your hair develop so long as attainable, it’s essential to successfully decelerate the injury to your ends.
Listed below are a couple of useful tricks to maximize size retention:
Hold Your Hair Moisturized
Preserving your hair moisturized is likely one of the finest methods to advertise size retention. Use the next tricks to maintain your hair moisturized:
- Use hair merchandise which have water listed as one of many first three substances. Substances are usually listed within the order of focus. That implies that the primary few substances listed on an ingredient checklist are current in massive quantities. Being that water is the best moisturizer there’s, it’s advantageous to make use of merchandise which have a considerable quantity of water in them.
- Deep-condition your hair steadily. A superb rule of thumb is to use a deep-conditioner 1 to 4 occasions per 30 days. In case your hair is extraordinarily dry and also you’re having a tough time retaining size, it’s best to do nearer to 4 deep conditioning periods per 30 days.
- Don’t contact your hair on a regular basis. Once you mess along with your hair, you take away moisture out of your strands and go away them weak to wreck from exterior components. The extra you permit your hair alone all through the day, the higher.
- Seal within the moisture. When you’re new to your natural hair journey and have finished any quantity of analysis, you could have heard concerning the significance of sealing in moisture. To seal within the moisture, it’s important to first apply a moisturizing liquid or oil, and then you definately apply a sealing oil or butter. Some standard sealing oils and butters embody castor oil, babassu oil, and mango butter.
- Moisturizing techniques. Two standard moisturizing strategies price trying out are the Curly Lady Methodology (learn more) and Squish to Condish (learn more).
Defend Your Hair at Night time
Protecting your hair while you sleep is essential when attempting to retain size. Most of us sleep on cotton pillowcases that rob our hair of moisture, leaving it dry and crunchy by morning.
As an alternative of sleeping on cotton pillowcases, it’s best to go for a non-absorbent silk or satin pillowcase. It should maintain your hair from drying out.
The identical precept applies to cotton scarves. Swap it out for a silk or satin scarf – it’ll protect your hair’s moisture by forming a clean barrier to forestall friction.
Put on Protecting Hairstyles
Protecting types are a good way to maximize your length retention, as they maintain your ends (and generally the whole hair shaft) tucked away and protected against exterior components. Additionally they maintain your fingers out of your head.
Curly hair could be difficult to measure, however fortunately there are a number of methods to maintain observe of your hair progress progress.
Irrespective of which measuring technique you select (comparability pictures, hair size shirts, or tender tape measure), keep in mind that hair progress takes time, care, and persistence. We encourage you to not rush the expansion course of – as an alternative, embrace the journey as a complete.