I’ve been speaking to ladies about wholesome hair look after over a decade now.
Taking a look at my inbox alone, I’ve acquired over 2000 emails from girls telling to me concerning the points they’ve with their hair. Including this to the individuals who method me in particular person and people I’ve suggested on-line I can confidently say that over the past decade, I’ve spoken to 1000’s of ladies about their hairs challenges and their hair care practices.
All these conversations have taught me a lot and given me an excellent quantity of knowledge from which I’ve recognized essentially the most prevalent hair care errors we appear to make. A few of them are classics and a few are new tendencies I’ve observed over the past couple of years.
These errors have taught me that regardless of wholesome hair data ( each correct and inaccurate) being accessible on-line for a few years, the overwhelming majority of ladies nonetheless don’t know the fundamentals about black hair care. The myths about our hair are nonetheless common than the reality about our hair. Essentially the most basic errors might ladies have made with their hair over the past decade and which I additionally made earlier than my wholesome hair awakening are
1) Utilizing oils as moisturizers.
2) Believing sluggish hair development or no hair development is our downside when as a rule, the true downside is injury and breakage.
3) Pondering you’ll be able to solely have lengthy wholesome hair should you have been born with it aka -believing that lengthy hair is right down to genes alone and never accepting that the way you deal with your hair has MAJOR affect.
4) The Holy Grail Progress Product syndrome – believing that it’s merchandise that can develop hair and never understanding that the primary operate of merchandise is to assist preserve hair wholesome (protect the hair fibre for so long as attainable) and that is what results in size retention (longer and thicker hair).
5) Not caring for our hair….and questioning why it’s not doing effectively.
To be truthful many women suppose they’re caring for his or her hair however are making so many errors and inadvertently trigger lots of injury.
The New Youngsters On the Block
Over the past two years I’ve undoubtedly observed a shift with girls who’re on wholesome hair journeys or have consciousness of right hair care after which take issues overboard and trigger self-inflicted hair loss because of this.
1) Underneath-manipulation aka abandonment.
There are various girls that know that extra manipulation is to be averted however for some motive that is being transformed to zero manipulation which leads to badly knotted or matted hair. Manipulation for hair care is important. It’s extra manipulation that’s to be averted.
2) Doing essentially the most!!
Many people on wholesome hair journeys get so carried away with new fads and wish to attempt every thing. So we full the important points of hair care after which additionally wish to add tea rinses, chebe, rice water, onion juice, aloe vera gel, cayenne pepper, a myriad of ayurvedic herbs, and many others
Sis, its an excessive amount of!!! Though most of those will impart some profit or the opposite, they aren’t important and we must always not do all of them and leap on each wagon. Incorporating just a few is okay however doing all of them isn’t clever.
Once I began my hair care journey, majority of the above was new to me however I learnt rapidly and attempt to educate others.
Though many women have made important and constructive modifications in how they care for his or her hair, the actual fact stays that majority of us as black ladies nonetheless have issues with our hair and don’t know find out how to look after it.
Sadly, having broken hair remains to be extra prevalent than wholesome hair and most often the breakage and broken we expertise is because of lack of or incorrect hair care.
A mission I had and started to meet via Hairducation was to demystify black hair and to normalize wholesome thriving hair for black ladies.
It’s a brand new decade and the mission continues!!!!