Sea salt, which is thought for its bigger granules and decrease sodium content material in comparison with atypical desk salt, is a meals seasoning and a magnificence product that has been used since prehistoric occasions.
The numerous variations between the 2 forms of salt lie of their molecular construction and their chemical composition.
Sea salt (sodium chloride) is minimally processed and incorporates some minerals resembling potassium, calcium, and iron, whereas desk salt is closely processed and has most of its vitamins eliminated.
Additionally, a teaspoon of sea salt incorporates round 2,000 mg of sodium, whereas the identical quantity of desk salt incorporates 2,300 mg of sodium. The distinction between the 2 is especially because of the distinction within the dimension of the granules.
Through the years, sea salt has been linked to a number of well being advantages, starting from pores and skin and hair care to being a therapeutic support for irritation and points with the digestive system.
This text will present particulars on utilizing sea salt for hair progress, hair breakage, and far more.
Though, earlier than we dive deep into these particulars, let’s see what sea salt is, the way it’s extracted, and what makes it distinctive from atypical desk salt.
What Is Sea Salt?
In contrast to common desk salt, sea salt is made by evaporating saltwater, which leaves behind granules full of pure minerals resembling magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, zinc, and potassium.
However, desk salt is mined from underground salt deposits earlier than eradicating minerals and different naturally occurring elements. Components that stop clumping of the salt granules and iodine, a necessary nutrient that helps preserve a wholesome thyroid, are additional added.
The mineral composition of sea salt (i.e., largely sodium chloride), significantly the excessive magnesium stage, is accountable for the pores and skin and hair care advantages. An NCBI study has linked the magnesium content material in sea salt to improved pores and skin hydration and diminished irritation in dry pores and skin.
Sea salt has discovered broader adoption within the magnificence business because of the vitamins packed within the naturally occurring minerals.
In addition to being a fantastic hair care product, under are the opposite frequent makes use of of sea salt:
- For a number of years, sea salt blended with honey has been used as a balancing masks to assuage infected pores and skin situations and calm breakouts and irritations.
- Sea salt blended with coconut oil or other essential oils is used as a pure exfoliant to take away lifeless pores and skin whereas permitting minerals to penetrate the pores and skin, softening and restoring hydration. Our favourite pure oils to make use of for eradicating lifeless pores and skin cells are lavender oil, tea tree oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and argan oil.
- Sea salt blended with baking soda dissolved in water acts as a pure mouthwash. It disinfects the mouth, killing micro organism that trigger unhealthy breath and gingivitis.
- Sea salt and baking soda will also be used as a enamel whitener. Sea salt incorporates pure fluoride, which is a bonus on your enamel and gums.
There are a number of manufacturers of sea salt and lifeless sea salt, together with PureScrubs, Minera, and Thena Pure Wellness.
Can Sea Salt Assist Hair Development?
Sea salt is wealthy in minerals resembling potassium, calcium, and sodium, which assist to interrupt down extra oil buildup in your scalp utilizing a “salt scrub.” This salt scrub is believed to mitigate fungal or yeast infections, which might in any other case trigger itchiness.
Making use of sea salt sprays or hair masks frequently additionally cleanses the pores, serving to enhance the regeneration of recent pores and skin cells.
For folks with flaky dandruff, sea salt may help take in extra moisture and oil, stimulate blood circulate, and encourage new, wholesome pores and skin cells. Whereas sea salt has obvious advantages for the pores and skin and hair, it is best to at all times use it sparsely.
Methods to Use Sea Salt for Hair Development and Extra
There are 5 methods you should use sea salt to enhance the well being of your scalp and even enhance the expansion of recent and wholesome pores and skin cells.
Every hair remedy contains mixing totally different components with sea salt to realize a particular formulation that gives varied advantages to the hair. These embrace:
1. Sea Salt Masks Recipe for Hair loss
- 1 teaspoon of wheat-germ oil
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of almond oil
- Wash your hair and permit it to hair dry till it’s moist or damp.
- Utilizing a bowl, combine all three components and stir it for 10 to fifteen minutes.
- Apply the combination to your scalp whereas massaging it gently. Be certain the hair remains to be moist (however not moist) whereas making use of the combination. It’s tougher to work the combination into utterly dry hair.
- Use the remaining formulation to work by means of your entire hair strands earlier than rinsing your hair with a light shampoo.
- Situation your hair and magnificence as regular.
2. Sea Salt Scalp Tonic for Rashes
- 1 cup of scorching water
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- Warmth a cup of water in a pan till it boils.
- Add one tablespoon of sea salt and wait until all of it dissolves.
- Immerse a delicate material (ideally cotton) into the answer and squeeze out the surplus earlier than patting the material gently on the scalp.
- Use this answer day-after-day for higher outcomes.
Sea salt dissolved in heat water helps detoxify the scalp. It could possibly additionally kill micro organism and different fungi infections, making it a wonderful treatment for rashes.
3. Sea Salt Shampoo for Hair Development
- 1 cup of your (favourite) gentle shampoo
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- Pour your common shampoo right into a bowl.
- Add sea salt and stir the combination for a number of minutes and let it dissolve for one hour.
- Apply the combination to your scalp and hair strands similar to you’ll with the common shampoo.
- Rinse your hair and situation it afterward.
4. Anti-Dandruff Sea Salt Masks
- 1 egg yolk
- 10 drops of castor oil
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- Combine all 4 components in a bowl and stir them till you get a easy consistency.
- Moist your hair, then apply the masks topically out of your scalp all all through your hair strands.
- Cowl your hair with a clear material or towel and go away the masks for about half-hour.
- Wash your hair utilizing a light shampoo.
- Situation your hair and magnificence as regular.
The advantage of utilizing yogurt and egg yolk is that they offset the drying nature of sea salt, protecting your follicles moisturized, well-nourished, and wholesome all day lengthy.
Moreover, be happy to include your favourite components resembling coconut oil or avocado oil to make your masks much more nutritious for the scalp.
You also needs to keep away from utilizing components that is perhaps allergic to your pores and skin. A rule of thumb is to check patch any factor earlier than utilizing it within the combination.
As an example, when you plan to make use of camphor oil, canola oil, and castor oil, or any ingredient of alternative, apply a small portion on the pores and skin below your armpit and wait for twenty-four hours to see if there’s any response.
5. Selfmade Sea Salt Rinse
A do-it-yourself sea salt rinse is a substitute for the industrial seal salt spray, which incorporates a number of non-natural components. The do-it-yourself model incorporates extra pure components resembling honey, inexperienced tea, coconut oil, and so forth.
- 1 bag of inexperienced tea
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut/Avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Brew one cup of inexperienced tea, then add honey, sea salt, and coconut oil afterward.
- Use your favourite shampoo to cleanse your hair, gently massaging your scalp
- Use your do-it-yourself sea salt answer to rinse your hair after shampooing.
- Permit the answer to sit down in your hair strands and scalp for 10 to twenty minutes earlier than rinsing it additional with lukewarm water.
The Advantages of Sea Salt for Hair
Under are among the advantages of utilizing sea salt in your hair care routine.
Naturally occurring salt or saltwater incorporates antifungal properties. Analysis reveals that the energetic ingredient in salt, sodium chloride, inhibits fungus growth by disrupting their osmoregulatory operate. This causes electrolyte imbalance, which impedes the fungus’ feeding means, lowering their growth charges.
It Removes Extra Oil
Sea salt absorbs extra oils and sebum in your scalp, serving to scale back scalp zits and dandruff. It additionally helps to unclog hair follicles to boost the expansion of recent and wholesome hair.
It Accommodates Vitamins Useful for the Scalp
Seawater penetrates the hair shaft permitting the scalp to soak up all of the important vitamins. An instance is Magnesium that has been proven to strengthen the neuro system with a chilled impact on the physique.
Helps With Exfoliation and Blood Circulation
Utilizing sea salt with different components resembling coconut oil helps exfoliate the scalp, eradicating lifeless pores and skin buildup from the hair roots. This stimulates blood circulate and enhances the expansion of sturdy, wholesome hair.
Does Sea Salt Make your Hair Thicker?
Selfmade sea salt recipes plump and increase the hair follicles, making them look thicker and extra voluminous.
It’s value noting that sea salt alone doesn’t make your hair look thicker; as a substitute, it’s the mixed advantages of utilizing sea salt with the opposite components resembling coconut oil, honey, egg yolk, and so forth., that ship these outcomes.
Is Sea Salt Secure for Hair?
Sea salt is secure on your hair when utilized in moderation. Utilizing sea salt on oily hair helps take in extra oil, which might in any other case trigger a buildup of lifeless pores and skin cells and dandruff.
For folks with dandruff or flaky pores and skin cells on their scalp, sea salt can alleviate rashes, exfoliate the pores and skin, and permit for blood circulation and the expansion of recent and wholesome pores and skin cells.
To keep away from the drying impact of sea salt in your scalp, at all times keep away from industrial sea salt sprays with poorly labeled components. Earlier than shopping for a sea salt spray, double-check to guarantee that it doesn’t include any alcohol content material or something you is perhaps allergic to.
Equally, it’s advisable to at all times use a conditioner after making use of a sea salt masks or shampoo to your scalp and hair. The profit is that it restores your hair’s pure moisture steadiness, particularly when you didn’t steadiness the components nicely or used extra sea salt within the formulation.
Can Sea Salt Cease Hair Loss?
Hair Loss is a typical situation that impacts many individuals sooner or later of their lives. A number of components could cause hair loss, from poor hair hygiene, ailments, hormonal modifications resembling being pregnant to genetics. Hair loss prevention requires good hair hygiene, good vitamin, and common shampooing.
Individuals who endure from hair loss or alopecia can profit from common use of sea salt mixed with different scalp-enriching components. When utilizing sea salt formulation, at all times therapeutic massage the scalp gently to stimulate blood circulate and make sure the hair roots take in all of the important vitamins.
The scalp also needs to be moist, and the therapeutic massage ought to final round 10 to fifteen minutes for optimum impact. You should use the 2 recipes interchangeably, i.e., sea salt hair masks for hair loss and sea salt shampoo for hair progress.
Whereas incorporate sea salt into your hair care routine is really useful, the frequency mustn’t exceed two occasions per week.
Can Sea Salt Lighten Your Hair?
Salty water is of course recognized to lighten hair strands, particularly whenever you swim within the ocean along with your hair uncovered to the solar. Most individuals like to naturally lighten their hair in the course of the summer time, i.e., with out utilizing harsh chemical substances to bleach their pure hair colour.
Sea salt is likely one of the components generally used to naturally lighten the hair with out essentially exposing your scalp to harsh industrial dyes and bleaches.
Nevertheless, sea salt alone isn’t going to make your hair colour lighter. Different components resembling lemon juice, honey masks, and cinnamon have been proven to provide your hair the summer time “seaside look.”
And because you’ll be utilizing sea salt with hair progress components which have extra superior scalp-nourishing vitamins, it’s much less possible that your hair colour will change.
In different phrases, in case you are utilizing sea salt minus the opposite hair-lightening components, you don’t want to fret about dropping your pure hair colour.
From what we’ve documented above, sea salt presents a number of advantages on your hair. You should use sea salt to stimulate hair progress (or hair thickening), mitigate hair loss, encourage a wholesome scalp, and even take away lifeless pores and skin cells utilizing a sea salt scalp scrub.
Whereas sea salt can be utilized as a hair product, it’s not a miracle answer that may restore broken hair in a single day. Actually, everybody’s hair is totally different, so it could not be just right for you in any respect.
In the event you resolve to make use of sea salt in your hair, we suggest beginning slowly and utilizing the product sparsely.