The Saggy Technique is a well-liked styling routine for anybody with chronically dry hair. This in a single day therapy maximizes moisture retention, which promotes quick, wholesome hair development.
This text incorporates the whole lot you have to know to finish the dishevelled methodology in your pure hair.
What Is the Saggy Technique?
The dishevelled methodology (generally spelled baggie methodology) or dishevelled hair methodology is a moisturizing approach that many ladies use to advertise hair development and soften their hair strands.
The dishevelled methodology may be completed in your total head (i.e., full head dishevelled methodology) or solely on the ends of your hair – like a ponytail (i.e., ponytail solely dishevelled methodology).
The bagging course of entails moisturizing your complete head after which protecting it with a bathe cap, plastic bag, plastic cap, grocery bag, plastic wrap, or another kind of head protecting (i.e., bagging).
Collect Your Provides
Earlier than you start the dishevelled methodology, make sure to overview the beneath checklist to make sure that you have got all the mandatory hair merchandise and provides readily available.
Hair Prep Provides:
- Clarifying Shampoo and Moisturizing Shampoo OR co-washing conditioner
- Moisturizing Conditioner
- Bathe cap
- Broad-tooth comb (non-obligatory)
Hair Styling Provides:
- Depart-in Conditioner
- Hair Progress Oil (non-obligatory)
- Curl Cream (non-obligatory)
- Bathe cap, plastic procuring bag, or saran wrap
- Sandwich luggage (e.g., Ziploc luggage) and elastic hair bands (when you’re solely doing the dishevelled methodology in your ends)
- Silk scarf or hair bonnet
Put together Your Hair for the Saggy Technique
The dishevelled methodology ought to be completed on freshly washed hair. It is because one of many foremost objectives of this styling methodology is hair development – including product to your hair when it’s coated in buildup can clog your hair follicles and decelerate development.
Not solely that, however soiled hair just isn’t as receptive to moisture as clear hair. So, make sure to shampoo (or co-wash) and situation your hair in line with the beneath steps earlier than you start styling.
Wash Your Hair
Step one in getting ready your hair for the dishevelled methodology is to scrub it. This may be completed utilizing a full shampoo session or a co-wash.
In the event you plan on shampooing your hair, observe these steps:
- Within the bathe, moist your hair with heat water. Keep away from utilizing scorching water, as this may be damaging and result in extreme dryness.
- Apply a clarifying shampoo to your roots. Scrub and therapeutic massage your scalp totally to work out any product buildup that could be current in your hair. Massaging your scalp stimulates blood circulation, which promotes hair development.
- Rinse your hair totally.
- Apply a moisturizing shampoo to your roots, then scrub and therapeutic massage your scalp to take away any remaining product buildup. Clarifying shampoo tends to be a harsh product, so following up with a moisturizing shampoo will assist to revive a number of the moisture that will have been stripped out of your hair.
- Rinse totally and watch out to not depart behind any traces of shampoo.
Co-washing your hair merely means cleaning your hair with a conditioner as a substitute of shampoo. To fight dryness, some girls exchange shampoo with a co-washing product.
Shampoo usually strips your hair of its pure oils, which might result in extreme dryness and even breakage, so some people with curly hair select to keep away from this altogether.
Others use co-wash as a method of extending the variety of days between shampoos. This is a wonderful solution to retain moisture in your hair whereas additionally eliminating product buildup periodically.
To co-wash your hair, observe these steps:
- Moist your hair with heat water.
- Apply the co-wash to your hair, combing it by way of along with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb for even distribution.
- Scrub and therapeutic massage your scalp vigorously. Co-wash doesn’t elevate product buildup out of your hair as effectively as shampoo, so additional scrubbing shall be essential to get your hair clear.
- Rinse your hair totally, after which observe up with the conditioning steps beneath when you really feel like your curls want extra moisture. Co-wash usually acts as a 2-in-1, so conditioning once more isn’t at all times crucial.
Situation Your Hair
After you’ve cleansed your hair with shampoo or co-wash, the following step is to situation your hair. Bear in mind, you’re about to offer your hair numerous moisture with the dishevelled methodology, so when you co-washed your hair, you may be capable to skip this step to keep away from over-moisturized hair.
Comply with these steps to situation your hair:
- Apply a moisturizing conditioner of your option to moist hair.
- Utilizing your fingers or a wide-tooth comb, work the conditioner into your strands, distributing it evenly however specializing in the ends, that are sometimes the driest a part of your hair.
- If in case you have time, put your hair up in a bathe cap, and permit the conditioner to take a seat in your hair for a couple of minutes in order that your hair can absorb the moisture.
- Rinse your hair totally with heat to lukewarm water.
Full the Saggy Technique
After you’ve washed and conditioned your hair, you’re able to type your hair utilizing the dishevelled methodology. Comply with these steps to attain wholesome and moisturized curls in a single day!
This methodology may be completed in your total head of hair, or simply your ends, so select the tactic beneath that’s best for you.
For Your Total Head
In case your hair is dry and in want of an all-over moisture therapy, then this model of the dishevelled methodology might be finest for you:
- Apply a leave-in conditioner of your alternative to scrub soaking moist hair. Comb by way of your hair with a wide-tooth comb to take away tangles and knots. Consider the leave-in conditioner as the principle ingredient on the subject of the dishevelled methodology.
- In the event you’d like, you possibly can add different styling merchandise to your hair at this level, equivalent to hair development oil and curl cream, however these will not be required.
- Create medium-sized twists in your hair. Twists are created by taking two sections of hair, twisting every of them in a clockwise route whereas wrapping them round one another in a counterclockwise route. Alternatively, you possibly can braid medium-size sections of your hair or put your hair in a number of small buns throughout your head.
- *Tip: Whether or not you twist, braid, or put your hair in buns, be certain to take action loosely. This can keep away from rigidity on the scalp (i.e., pull hair) and stop extra shedding resulting in fragile hair.
- As soon as your merchandise have been utilized, and your hair is secured in twists, placed on a bathe cap.
- Cowl the bathe cap by wrapping it in a silk scarf or sporting a satin bonnet.
- *Tip: In the event you don’t have a plastic bathe cap readily available, you possibly can additionally use a plastic procuring bag and even saran wrap. These will all have the identical heat-insulating impact.
- Put on your hair like this in a single day.
- Within the morning, take your hair down from the silk scarf or bonnet and take away the bathe cap.
- Untwist your hair and magnificence it as desired. Alternatively, you possibly can simply fluff your moisturized curls and go!
For Solely Your Ends (generally referred to as Ponytail Saggy Technique)
In the event you really feel like your hair is mostly well-moisturized, however your ends might use slightly TLC to forestall cut up ends and breakage, then this model of the dishevelled is likely to be higher in your hair:
- Apply a leave-in conditioner of your alternative to scrub soaking moist hair. You may apply it to your total head or simply your ends.
- Add different styling merchandise, equivalent to a pure oil or cream, when you’d like. Once more, you possibly can select to use them solely to your ends or to your total head.
- Create medium-sized twists or braids in your hair.
- When you’ve created twists in your hair, put the ends of your twists or braids in a Ziploc bag, and safe the bag with a hair tie.
- Wrap your hair up in a silk scarf or bonnet, and put on it in a single day.
- Within the morning, take your hair down from the headscarf or bonnet, rigorously undo the hair ties, and take away the Ziploc luggage.
- Untwist your hair and magnificence as desired!
The dishevelled methodology may give your hair an excessive quantity of moisture. In the event you discover that it gave your hair slightly an excessive amount of moisture, you might need to do a protein therapy after a day or two.
This can assist restore the very important stability of moisture and protein in your hair. Listed here are some in style and extremely really useful protein remedies to contemplate:
Professionals and Cons of the Saggy Technique
In the event you’re uncertain whether or not the dishevelled methodology will obtain the specified impact in your hair, make sure to overview this checklist of professionals and cons. They are going to allow you to decide whether or not the dishevelled methodology will be just right for you and your hair.
- It brings most moisture by creating a damp surroundings utilizing your physique warmth and consistently moist hair. This opens up your hair cuticles and permits your hair to soak in as a lot of the hydrating merchandise as doable.
- It promotes elevated size retention by stopping injury, particularly to your ends.
- It’s easy and nice for novices seeking to create a pure hair routine after doing the massive chop!
- It’s extremely customizable. Be happy to experiment with completely different merchandise to create your individual distinctive model of the dishevelled methodology, one that matches your hair’s distinctive wants.
- This styling methodology might add an excessive amount of moisture to high-quality curls. In case your curls really feel limp or weighed down after a therapy, we don’t advocate persevering with to do the dishevelled methodology.
- The dishevelled methodology isn’t fast, as it should have to be accomplished in a single day for one of the best outcomes. So, when you’re in a rush, this is probably not the best choice for you.
- Carrying your hair moist in a single day could also be uncomfortable at first and can most likely take some getting used to, particularly when you’re doing the dishevelled methodology in your total head.
For a lot of naturals who wrestle with dry hair, the professionals of the dishevelled methodology outweigh the cons.
Dos and Don’ts of the Saggy Technique
This checklist of “dos and don’ts” will allow you to keep away from essential errors when utilizing the dishevelled methodology. Make sure you overview this checklist earlier than finishing the dishevelled methodology to make sure you’re you’ll obtain glad and correctly moisturized curls.
- Mix leave-in conditioner along with your most popular styling merchandise when finishing the dishevelled methodology. It could take a while so that you can discover the appropriate merchandise in your hair and to adjust your hair care regimen.
- Experiment with completely different styling product mixtures to seek out what’s finest in your hair. Listed here are just some to select from:
- Depart-in conditioner solely.
- Depart-in conditioner and oil of your alternative.
- LOC methodology: leave-in conditioner, oil, after which curl cream.
- LCO methodology: leave-in conditioner, curl cream, after which oil.
- Have persistence, and don’t attempt to full the dishevelled methodology in a couple of minutes. Arrange a time the place you possibly can dedicate a complete night time to finishing up the steps listed above.
- Make sure you stability this extraordinarily moisturizing routine with loads of protein. You may obtain this by together with quantity of protein in your weight-reduction plan or including a protein therapy to your hair routine.
- Don’t use this methodology each night time when styling. Permitting your hair to continuously stay damp for lengthy intervals creates the proper breeding micro organism. It could additionally trigger limp, over-moisturized curls which can be fragile and vulnerable to breakage. The rule “the whole lot moderately” applies to caring for curly hair, too! Solely use this methodology 1-2 instances per week.
- Don’t omit the leave-in conditioner from the dishevelled methodology. Depart-in conditioner is the important thing product on this styling routine and is what differentiates it from the greenhouse impact, an identical styling methodology.
- Don’t use the dishevelled methodology as a “pre-poo” treatment. The dishevelled methodology is supposed for use on clear, freshly washed hair, not earlier than shampooing your hair.
Can You Use the Saggy Technique for Hair Progress?
Many ladies declare that the dishevelled methodology encourages hair development. Whereas we haven’t been capable of finding any scientific proof that helps this declare, the anecdotal proof may be very sturdy.
We are going to replace this text if we discover a complete case examine that demonstrates hair development outcomes contributed to bagging. To this point, substantiated earlier than and after documentation with photos is nonexistent.
Some Last Ideas
It’s important that you just don’t solely give attention to conserving your hair moisturized throughout your pure hair journey. You need to contemplate balancing moisture and protein in your hair and defending the scalp’s pure sebum.
Moreover, you will have to find out the period that works finest in your hair. It’s normally finest to start out small, possibly a few hours, after which analyze the outcomes.
Some girls have reportedly used the dishevelled methodology in a single day and seen good outcomes. So, you will have to mess around with the tactic slightly to seek out the appropriate size of time in your hair.
All in all, the dishevelled methodology is an easy and efficient moisturizing methodology that promotes glad and wholesome curls!
We hope that this text is useful to you and offers you all the info you have to do the dishevelled methodology correctly. We’re greater than assured that the dishevelled methodology shall be a game-changer in your curly hair routine.